When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Poor packing!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
64456843_10219780706372755_4962213061256544256_n.jpg

Some kind of axle padding is indeed needed, and part of the basic standard of packaging. The plastic end caps aren't bad, but you can make your own from packing foam or extra pieces of cardboard. Sometimes even those are not enough and the axles still punch through, especially if the box is abused by the shipping company.

Worst case of axle punch I had, the axles punched through and then dragged all the way along the Fed Ex conveyors. This resulted in the total destruction of a Sturmey Archer S5 bell crank, and necessitated (expensive) replacement. The bell crank was ground down to a nub.

If he'd respond then, that would be acceptable.

No need to blast him here.

But, I did have to trace the tip of the stud threads. Not a bug deal but, so easily could have been avoided.
Also cause the tire sidewalls weren't protected the gum walls were marred up. But still nice tires
And one of the shrader valves must be damaged because it won't engage the air chuck.
Shame I'd have to unglued the tires to replace the stem.
Front tire inflated nicely.

The process of packing is to ensure no protruding parts or the ability to allow holes to picture the carton.
Holes created allow the loose parts if any to fall out.
And yes, the courier is partly to blame for the damage.
His response was "Best of Luck mate."
Offered a refund but, I was to pay shipping. I've never had to pay return shipping costs

Poor customer service.
Thanks Reed from NJ

Some kind of axle padding is indeed needed, and part of the basic standard of packaging. The plastic end caps aren't bad, but you can make your own from packing foam or extra pieces of cardboard. Sometimes even those are not enough and the axles still punch through, especially if the box is abused by the shipping company.

Worst case of axle punch I had, the axles punched through and then dragged all the way along the Fed Ex conveyors. This resulted in the total destruction of a Sturmey Archer S5 bell crank, and necessitated (expensive) replacement. The bell crank was ground down to a nub.

I always use the plastic caps from the local bike shop and then I add a small piece of Lauan on each side of the box to protect them and the box. It adds a tiny amount of weight but it’s worth it in the end.

I always use the plastic caps from the local bike shop and then I add a small piece of Lauan on each side of the box to protect them and the box. It adds a tiny amount of weight but it’s worth it in the end.

That should cover it, I would think.

I've found damage to the contents to be completely random. The ground-down bell crank was a ship between Connecticut and Virginia (not that far). I've had bikes take less damage coming from the west coast (a long way). I've had boxes that look reasonably good outside actually have a damaged bike inside (I guess the pedals got loose on that one?). I've had boxes show up absolutely trashed but the contents somehow not be damaged at all (I actually had a neighbor stop and ask if the truck had driven over the box based on how it looked).

I dread that moment I see the trashed or punched-out box on my porch because the next 15 minutes are spent unpacking and trying discern what happened to the contents (if anything).

Shipping horror stories..... I have had my share of bikes arriving with size 15 footprints on the middle of the box or forklift blade holes. One box had a forklift blade pass thru the box and missing everything! This is why the new preffered method of sending bikes is to send them fully assembled/ready to ride thru one of a few private carriers. This way-you can see what you bought and there are 'no lost parts'-parts that fall out the bottom of damaged boxes! Cost just a fraction more but worth it. Takes a little bit of time-again worth it. I don't know how this could work on parts though. As for this specific wheel set-the axel sets should have been removed-there would have been no problem.

I must admit, especially now, with shipping costs like they are, I am removing most axles when needed. Cuts a good 1,1/2" off of box size in many cases. I use heavy zip locks front and back for axle parts. What does worry me about doing this, is sometimes buyers are not familiar with re-assembly of the rear hub axle and they have this "Oh poop" moment, that can cause problems! 😌

Last edited:
sometimes buyers are not familiar with re-assembly of the rear hub axle and they have this "Oh poop" moment, that can cause problems! 😌
That there is a learning opportunity for the buyer! 👍

One of my first bikes was shipped to me totally disassembled, including the hubs, crank, headset, etc.. I actually enjoyed having it apart because I could easily start servicing the hubs and crank, plus work on any cleanup to the painted parts and chrome. I did need to youtube the ND hub assembly. Today I can do it in my sleep.

Back