When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Columbia Compax and Paratrooper “The Folding Bikes”

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Yes AACA has several classes for bikes, more vintage bikes at every show.
You just need to be a member to enter an AACA show.
So far my 1947 Monark has been shown in Charlotte NC. and Penn. with good results.
Next show is Hershey,Pa. Your missing out !
My point was what qualifies the judges for the bikes. In order to judge cars there are pages of criteria. I don't even see bicycles mentioned. I do see a place for two-wheelers/trikes and to me that is suspect given the focus of the AACA. I'd rather have my bike judged at a local show where the people judging at least have a clue. Do you get a points score sheet addressing each area e.g. frame, seat, wheels pedals, etc... I'm not a AACA member so maybe I'm missing something. Please enlighten me as to what goes into the judging and how the judges are qualified.

Hello Leon When I said bikes I was talking about motorbikes.
They have to have an engine and must start for the judge.
I like to restore a vintage bike and put a Whizzer, Johnson Motorwheel, Tribune , or Earnshaw Road Arrow engine. Just try to match the engines time period with the bikes.Might show a Solex, or Ducati-cucciolo at Hershey. I have hauled up to three bikes in my van. No more trailers for this old guy,I hauled race cars around for 30 years, bikes are the way to go. Picture of my little Ducati.
1691894759548.jpeg

Leon Anyone can be a judge, are car judges knowlegable about every make of car ?
I just clicked on your site,and none of the links are connecting to anything.
People who live in glass houses should not be throwing stones.

Leon Anyone can be a judge, are car judges knowlegable about every make of car ?
I just clicked on your site,and none of the links are connecting to anything.
People who live in glass houses should not be throwing stones.
This is the ridiculous sad state that things are in. Of course there are boobs judging cars who have absolutely no idea what they are doing. People who ought not be judging a bloody toothbrush or a bowl of pudding, much less a car. BUT... that's where things are these days. If you think this is great, then bully for you! If your cronies think this is great, bully for them too. If judging criteria translates to "...it's SHINY!"... good for you. But so what? Everybody has a navel and everybody has an opinion. Now we've seen yours. Good job.

As the knowledgeable people in vintage cars die off or don't want to be involved with "people's choice" mentality this does not mean anything other than the obvious. Today's Stalinist/communist realm of nobody knows nuthin' but the people know everything ...and it's all "people's choice"... and "wiki-pedia" where anybody and everybody is an "editor"... and everything can be argued into the ground because everybody is an expert ... then yes. You are right. Anybody who raises their hand or who has a navel can be a judge. But if you see this as a goal of excellence...that's YOUR opinion.

This has nothing to do with "glass houses" but a lot to do with genericism and mediocrity.

You are in no position to criticize the comment that was made– other than you've got an opinion that you obviously imagine is authoritarian. But you are in no position to lecture anyone on this matter.

If NBHAA links aren't working... well that's just too bad. Don't go there. You are not doing anyone any favors. I don't get paid if you click on anything. And I do not care one tiny bit what you think. Not one bit.

Where is YOUR resume for what YOU did to create or build this hobby?

And when did you do it?

What magazine articles or TV and radio appearances have YOU made?

How many industry seminars have you taught?

Where is your collection and what does it consist of and how long have you been gathering your expertise?

My newsletter and my articles were the FIRST– no matter who or what doesn't like this fact. And they took place decades ago when most people had no idea about this stuff. You don't like that? Too bad.

NBHAA is not a gossip forum and never was a do-it-yourself web site made for people to argue over or argue about... or to "throw stones." Furthermore it has existed long before most internet sites were ever imagined.

NBHAA does not exist to compete with anybody or anything for any reason. It does not claim to. And it does not generate profit money... it COSTS money. It is not run by a "team" or an IT expert or IT experts. It is not supported by antagonists, arguers or posers. It does not use gossip as a basis for bicycle history.

I know there will always be those who think that only those with the seal of approval should be recognized and allowed to make corrections here. But what does this prove?

So. Whatever YOU think is whatever YOU think. Nobody cares what you think except cronies who think like you. Most of these would rather it be that nobody exists to correct whatever nonsense they say. A duh-duh-duh world. And that's fine... for them.

This is the same mentality that greeted returning Vietnam veterans in the 1960s and 1970s. People yelling and shouting who were in no position to judge... but doing exactly that very thing. People who had never been there, but knew everything there was to know– according to them.

I detest juvenile arguing and typical-for-today confrontational arguing. This is not a Jerry Springer show– as much as some would like it to be. As such, this is my last comment in this thread. So have your baked beans party. That's it. And if you choose to believe that Columbia COMPAX Paratrooper bicycle production stopped in the 1940s (WHICH– by the way was the original point I was correcting WITH ORIGINAL LITERATURE)... then... congratulations. You've made your point– as far off of the topic as it can possibly be. Duh-duh-duh!

Last edited:
I just bought a Columbia Compax. They all must seperate before the seat post.
Yours is the second one I have ever seen.
Have heard that some still have the canvas zip-up case they were sold with.
An early travel bike. If I restore the bike will have to get a copy of the logo on the frame.
Will buy a few extra decals , let me know if you want one.
1692671983920.jpeg

You ain't seen me, right?

(I'm scared of Mr. Dixon shouting at me again and making me stand in the corner for bad boys....)

Hi @REDAIR13 @wes holliday

Both examples have the type of chainwheel that seems to have been introduced for these bikes at the start of 1946. The serial number to date them is located on the bottom bracket, and will be a letter with four to six numbers following.

If you can let us know here, we can tell you more about the bicycles.

Best Regards,

Adrian

I just bought a Columbia Compax. They all must seperate before the seat post.
Yours is the second one I have ever seen.
Have heard that some still have the canvas zip-up case they were sold with.
An early travel bike. If I restore the bike will have to get a copy of the logo on the frame.
Will buy a few extra decals , let me know if you want one.
View attachment 1890424

I about pulled the trigger on that one myself! Congrats!

Back