When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chainring ID needed

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

DJF

Finally riding a big boys bike
Who can tell me the maker and year of this ring?

Seems to stand out in its simplicity, figure someone here has an ad or confirmed bike with it.

shaw chainring closeup.jpg

Reminds me of A&S Excelsior chain ring, (although the same pattern was not used for every year/model).

But also on bikes with other badges, such as "Century" or Flying Mercury; (pictures posted somewhere on this site)
Spring p.374 A&S Century.jpg

Last edited:
Excelsior I think. Or Westfield? Below two examples. 2nd is on a "Bluebird" badged bike. Davis made? And the Flying Mercury ad.
1691081362903.jpeg

1691081496377.jpeg

1657596125303-jpg.jpg

The Flying Mercury bike that sold recently here had what 1st appeared to be an Excelsior sprocket, suggesting Excelsior was the maker. It almost looks like the sprocket and crankarm are Emblem but can't quite make it out.! @New Mexico Brant ~ Who now owns the Flying Mercury? Does it have the Excelsior or Emblem crankset?..Edit.....definitely Emblem.
1691095266807.jpeg

1691095620639.jpeg

Last edited:
WOW!!! Nice bike, IS IT FOR SALE??? $$$$
Someone has been looking for this for a long time.
Mike Cates, CA.

Supposedly it is on a 1910 to 1913 Schwinn. Was hoping that would be confirmed.

And the crank arm is and has been bent out so looks a little weird.

I have seen this ring on ‘20’s Schwinn built bikes. I knew they were on several different manufacturers bikes so I too have always wondered who made them

Did the companies make their own chain rings or did another company make them for them?

Supposedly it is on a 1910 to 1913 Schwinn. Was hoping that would be confirmed.
The Flying Mercury bike that sold recently here had what 1st appeared to be an Excelsior sprocket, suggesting Excelsior was the maker. It almost looks like the sprocket and crankarm are Emblem but can't quite make it out.! @New Mexico Brant ~ Who now owns the Flying Mercury?
Schwinn also used that chainring pre-1915. As I recall my Flying Mercury is Schwinn built (?)...memory lapse.

Schwinn World Double Truss frame.png

World bicycles schwinn truss frame.png

Back