When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Phantom ?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

the tinker

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I vaguely recall seeing an early Phantom with an Excelsior badge on it. I think I had a Phantom with a BF Goodrich badge on it. My memory isn't as good as it used to be, so I hope I'm not confused. I believe it was in 1948 that Schwinn ended the private nameplates on their bikes. Must have been an exception for the Phantoms, as they were first advertised in 1949 . Although there's always been some debate whether any were actually built that year. My question is: Was the Liberty badge, ever used on a Phantom? I've had them on late 40's Schwinns, but never a Phantom. I'm not talking about the standard "Liberty" badge used on the pre and post war 40's bikes. Thanks!

View attachment 2014741

I think 50 to 59 was mostly the tall oval however my 51 has the small plains and trains badge and the only branded tall oval that comes to mind are the BFG badges. 49 still used the shield. My 50 phantom has a brass BFG badge and I have also seen the excelsior ribbon on a phantom.

1950 Liberty
01 - Copy.jpg

02.jpg

Phantom
liberty badge.jpg

IMG_0467.JPG

That red Phantom has a Haacks sticker. They usually change out the head badges with a Haacks also. So the Liberty badge could have been installed by some owner replacing the Haacks badge.
The hole spacing for the Haack's badge (3 1/4") is different from the Liberty (2 3/16").

Back