When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEED HELP Identifying hawthorne 20" bicycle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Notice there are 2 drastic differences between your bike and the one in the Murray ad you posted... The Murray ad shows a cast 2 piece crank and different sprocket. The chain guard on your bike is shaped like an AMF I had from 73 and I bet frame of the bike in the ad hidden under the guard and brace has the same pointy dropout as the other Murray examples posted before, different than yours.
The rear hub on your bike is a Bendix Red Band hub that would date the wheels as early as 62/63 and only as late as 1968. If the wheels are original, that will help you with date range while looking through Wards catalogs for matching examples, found here: https://christmas.musetechnical.com/
Thank you. I will definitely take a look tomorrow and update my findings

It's your lucky day, you get some free research handed over. Your bike seems to be the "better" model with rear rack and no headlight. Looks like 63 was the first advertisement with that chain guard and convertible tank/decal. The tutone seat disappears in the catalogs after these.

Screenshot_20240415-204346.png

Screenshot_20240415-204803.png

Screenshot_20240415-205300.png

Last edited:
Thank you so much. After looking the bikes over, I firmly believe it's a 1964 "better" version. The tell tale sign are the headbadge on the 64 has the black hawthorne logo opposed to the 63 and older that have the red and white Checkered look and as you said the 2 tone seat which isn't available on the 1965+ which I looked all the way to 1968, lol.

The only thing that differs are the white wall tires and red pedals. Mine are both black. With that said the 64 in the brochure specifically calls out the white wall tires only on the "best" model but still visually show them mounted on the better model. So who knows what happened there.

20240414_185655.jpg

Per "Dave's Vintage Bikes" website, these were made by Cleveland Welding, CWC.....
Someone else had mentioned that the same chainguard was on their amf. So I started digging into that.

Turns out that cwc was bought out by amf in the early 50s, so there is some truth in your statement. After digging deep I found the practical Identical bike which is what I'm assuming is the correct builder

The AMF ROADMASTER SATELLITE 20" and satellite jr. 16". The 20" in the picture has different forks, sprocket and chain covet, but the junior has the exact sprocket and chain cover as mine just different decals of course.

A lot of these bikes seem so similar it blows my mind that they so openly copied each other

AMF-Roadmaster-Bike.png

Screenshot_20240416_222207_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240416_114115_Samsung Internet.jpg

Also, notice the different head tube, goose or swan neck stem and handle bars, and the inflatable tires/tubes on the Satellite bike.

20” is fairly-large and heavy for an almost-all solid-tire bike.

Last edited:
Back