When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Columbia G519 specs pedals/tires

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Pedals Past

I live for the CABE
So does the Columbia G519 take:

Pedals- blacknout Torrington 8’s ; black out Torrington 8’s with wood blocks ; or black out Torrington 18’s or non of the above and what that might be?

Tires- was there a specific tire or just bw US Royal Chain Trread: BW US Royal Centipede : or maybe Gillette Bear BW?

Is there any documentation for these bikes did Columbia do a spec sheet for military ? If so is there copies available?

I just bought a G519

39EB6E25-DAF6-472E-93DD-A7C25D19CCC8.jpeg

6E3FD3ED-048B-43F1-A72C-38BD34AB321D.jpeg

Since its going to the California Veterans home in Yountville to the Napa Valley Museum
I am far from an expert but would like it to show correct.

We do t have bike yet but think weare in need of:
Tool Bag
Correct US Tires
Correct Pedals

If we can swing it trying to get it here for tge April 17 Plymouth Ca Show and Swap
39EB6E25-DAF6-472E-93DD-A7C25D19CCC8.jpeg

6E3FD3ED-048B-43F1-A72C-38BD34AB321D.jpeg

Any help is appreciated and if anyone is going let me know what day and i try to meet you

Hi Jerry

Here is some previous history on the bike.

G95138/J10 is an October 1942 made frame. The inverted W for an M was being used at this point with at least four surviving examples in a block known.

Pedals would beTorrington 8, wood block. They vary, with totally green including the wooden blocks, raw wood and green and totally black including wood.

They are hard to find, but fairly easy to replicate.

Pictures @blackcat
1713123667763.png

Also, some have a rounded backplate, presulably to let broad army boots fit more easily.

1713124100696.png

Tires sould be the Royal Master Centipede type, but good usable ones are increasingly hard to find, and the recent Chain Tread are a good period type substitute.

There is no direct specification, and the bicycles changed a little during production, but I have lists which give a good indication of what is correct to a reasonable degree of certainty at any point.

Reprints of the handbooks are available at a reasonable price, here for example: https://www.portrayalpress.com/Illustrated-Parts-and-Service-for-G519-WW2-Bicycle-p/620-0519.htm

Best Regards,

Adrian

Thanks its all pretty much what I figured I probabely have the tires i need the tool bag but I am sure I ve had many pairs of the pedals and nos blocks over the years only to have sold them since I was never building a black out bike but now I have 2.

If you run across pedals and/or tool bag let me know if you want to sell them.

I appreciate your reply.

Hi Jerry

The bags turn up from time to time, but can be expensive. Luckily they are not essential.

Wood block pedals vary in design. The pattern of block shown above seems to be the only type used on G519, and don’t turn up as often as the others.
Al Berger @Frank Rizzo may have some of his very good reproductions left, but I’m not certain.

Best regards, Adrian

Back