When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tonight's find: 1939 Speedway

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I wanted to get the bike to a rideable point quickly, since you can always change out the parts later, and I really wanted to see how one of these prewar straight bar Schwinns rode, so I pieced together with stuff from a different bike of mine at work yesterday. It’s amazing how much lighter these frames are than say, a ‘60s cantilever frame. I’m not a stickler for original parts, so as you can see, some creative liberties have been taken. Rides great! Super excited to have it as a complete bicycle. Since I have the original fenders, I may do some body work on them eventually and get them back on the bike, since they’re original matching paint with a glass reflector on the rear, but who knows. The original bars and stem (and truss rods for that matter) all desperately need to be re-chromed, if even possible. There’s a lot of pitting so they may not be salvageable, but whatever. I’ll keep anything original to the bike around, but I enjoy it as it currently is!

88834DC6-DBCE-4A01-B3E5-30E635BD4470.jpeg

Speedway and American Flyer were both names used by Louisville Cycle Supply. This business was owned by Zeldon Lipski and family. I have two prewar Speedways and have both of them going now. I have an extra down tube Speedway decal if you need one.

IMG_3738.jpeg

IMG_3740.jpeg

IMG_3440.jpeg

IMG_2969.jpeg

Back