When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Types of Schwinn frame construction

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I guess the "modern" steel framed bike has been around for +/- 150 years. Isn't it cool how far we've come but how some things are really just about the same. Those Ol' Dudes were pretty sharp.

I would encourage any CABE member that has a chance to take five minutes and look over any early Schwinn Track Paramount. Steel cranks, cotter pinned onto a steel spindle, steel chain rings, steel bars and adjustable steel stem, wood rims, and it was only 20 pounds in 1938. Take your finger and tap the top tube and you will hear how thin that frame tubing is. Yes, we have progressed, but the early dudes knew how to make a nice riding bike.

John

I would encourage any CABE member that has a chance to take five minutes and look over any early Schwinn Track Paramount. Steel cranks, cotter pinned onto a steel spindle, steel chain rings, steel bars and adjustable steel stem, wood rims, and it was only 20 pounds in 1938. Take your finger and tap the top tube and you will hear how thin that frame tubing is. Yes, we have progressed, but the early dudes knew how to make a nice riding bike.

John
Like my Mom used to say, "You can spend most of your life traveling the world over, but you'll finally find what you're looking for on your own back porch."

I did not know True Temper built bicycle frames? True Temper was one of Schwinn's vendor's for frame tubing.

John
Good catch, I misspoke there. They probably only provided the tubing for the Olympic bikes. I don’t remember who actually built them.

Edit: I DO remember who built the frames, ready for this?
It was Huffy! (Serotta actually brazed them up?)

edit again!:
Reading up on this I have found that some of the Huffy/True Temper Olympic bikes of the 80’s were also built by Raleigh and were brazed or glued depending on each riders individual frames.

Wow, this rabbit hole runs deep.

Got a little off the rails here in this thread, sorry John.
1711206176574.jpeg

Last edited:
Good catch, I misspoke there. They probably only provided the tubing for the Olympic bikes. I don’t remember who actually built them.

Edit: I DO remember who built the frames, ready for this?
It was Huffy! (Serotta actually brazed them up?)

edit again!:
Reading up on this I have found that some of the Huffy/True Temper Olympic bikes of the 80’s were also built by Raleigh and were brazed or glued depending on each riders individual frames.

Wow, this rabbit hole runs deep.

Got a little off the rails here in this thread, sorry John.
View attachment 2011577

LOL, what's amazing is that anyone could efficiently ride in that position. I have a custom Paramount Pursuit frame that looks like the bike you posted.

In your defense, I believe I remember some of the race bikes having True Temper decals. It was more about sponsorships and advertising, than who actually welded the frame together. Huffy, Murray, and 7/11 all had Pro Race bikes, but never did anyone think they actually built the frames.

John

I had a buddy who was a pretty snazzy triathlete. He was the CEO of one of my clients. He thought I was crazy for MTBs. I thought he was crazy for....well, I just thought he was crazy. We called him Toofus, that's redneck for toothless.

Back